THURSDAY 7 SEPTEMBER 2023 – FULL DAY WORKSHOP, 9.00 AM – 3.00 PM
For: Teacher Aides, Learning/Teaching Assistants, Outreach Teachers, etc
Facilitated by: Johnna Alborn, Literacy@Massey, Massey University
This workshop will provide Teacher Aides with current research and models of how children learn to read and spell. They will increase their understanding of the alphabet code and word knowledge while learning how to apply this knowledge to teaching in a small group intervention setting. The word knowledge component of this workshop is based on a trial where students showed significant progress in their reading and spelling. Getting the building blocks in place is essential for literacy success.
Part 1: Teacher Aide Knowledge to Teaching Practice
- Unpack the cognitive demands involved in learning to read and write.
- Explore the key components and principles of a Structured Literacy approach.
- Examine explicit teaching and use in lesson planning.
Part 2: Building Blocks of Word Knowledge
- Systematic and explicit teaching of words through a progression.
- How The Code of English spelling works.
- Practical lessons on how to teach through the progression.
Part 3: Small Group Instruction with a Spelling Focus
- Using decodable books.
- Planning and implementing a small group spelling lesson.
Venue: Tasman Room, Beachcomber Hotel, 23 Beach Road, Tahunanui, Nelson
Cost: $300 +GST per person – includes morning tea, light lunch and resources
- To register and pay for this workshop, click on the button below and submit by Friday 25 August 2023.
- Numbers are limited to 30 participants on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Confirmation details will be emailed in the week prior to the workshop.
- If you are unable to attend the workshop but have paid, another person can attend in your place. Refunds will only be considered on a case-by-case basis.