FRIDAY 20 OCTOBER 2023 – FULL DAY WORKSHOP, 9.00 AM – 3.00 PM
For: Teachers, Leaders, Literacy Leaders, Learning/Teaching Assistants, RTLBs, RTLits, Outreach teachers, etc
Facilitated by: Johnna Alborn, Literacy@Massey, Massey University
This workshop focuses on exploring the key aspects and principles of a structured literacy approach in the upper primary levels. Its content goes beyond the early foundation literacy skills and giving teachers in the senior school practical, evidence-based practice, including explicit teaching, vocabulary instruction and reading comprehension. This workshop will unpack what a structured literacy approach looks like in the upper primary school and examine how to address the language comprehension strands of Scarborough’s Reading Rope model.
Part 1: Teacher Knowledge to Teaching Practice
- Explore the key components and principles of a Structured Literacy approach.
- Unpack the Upper Strands of the Reading Rope (Language Comprehension).
- Examine explicit teaching and use in lesson planning.
Part 2: Vocabulary Instruction in Year 5-8
- Why vocabulary instruction is important.
- Examine the 3-tier model for selecting vocabulary to teach.
- Practical classroom activities for vocabulary teaching in Years 5-8.
Part 3: Reading Comprehension
- Understanding reading comprehension.
- Incorporating comprehension strategies supported by research.
- How to plan a whole class reading lesson.
Venue: Tasman Room, Beachcomber Hotel, 23 Beach Road, Tahunanui, Nelson
Cost: $300 +GST per person – includes morning tea, light lunch and resources
- To register and pay for this workshop, click on the button below and submit by Friday 6 October 2023.
- Numbers are limited to 30 participants on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Confirmation details will be emailed in the week prior to the workshop.
- If you are unable to attend the workshop but have paid, another person can attend in your place. Refunds will only be considered on a case-by-case basis.